I’ve Tested Over a Dozen Vacuums, and This One Replaced Them All — Even My Robot Vacuum!
In my home, a vacuum is not merely a household appliance. It’s a reliable partner in my battle against dust, dirt, and especially, pet hair. However, it’s also a device I have the hardest time shopping for. There are so many options out there with a variety of features that would be satisfactory for my apartment, but it’s tough to figure out which one is the right one for me. Fortunately, working at Apartment Therapy means I have the opportunity to try out a ton of vacuums to save you the trouble that I dread. After all, a great vacuum is about more than just suction strength. You also have to take into account its filtration, maneuverability, accessories, and special features tailored to your specific needs.
Out of all my testing, the top vacuum brand ended up being Shark. Naturally, when given the chance to try out their latest cordless stick vacuum (that also self-empties!), I couldn’t pass it up. Without further ado, here are my thoughts on the Shark Cordless Detect Pro.
A Quick Look at the Shark Cordless Detect Pro Vacuum
- Lightweight, portable, and always ready to use
- Bagless base that holds and seals up to 30 days worth of dust and debris
- Traps 99.97 percent of allergens with HEPA filter and anti-allergen complete seal
- Self-cleaning brush roll that picks up large debris, fine dust, pet hair, and dust along edges
- Deep-cleaning technologies detect and react to dirt, floor types, edges, and low light areas
- Up to 60 minutes of runtime when in Eco mode
Design Features That Stand Out
Because I’m typically cleaning in a rush, I’m a fan of vacuums that automatically adjust as you use them. It helps me to focus on deeper cleaning and gives me confidence that I won’t have to run the vacuum over the floor numerous times to actually be effective. The Shark Cordless Detect Pro uses intelligent cleaning tech to pinpoint the amount of dirt in an area, then increases and decreases the suction accordingly. You can change cleaning modes with the press of a button, and if you need to use it for a long stretch of time rather than short bursts, Eco mode provides up to an hour of runtime.
The vacuum’s dock has a tall silhouette that makes it more small space-friendly than other self-emptying devices. Another plus is that stationing this vacuum doesn’t require any drilling. The base plugs directly into the wall and keeps the vacuum charged when it’s not in use. That means I never have to worry about whether or not I’ll be able to pick up sudden floor messes ranging from pet hair to spilled food. Plus, the Shark Cordless Detect Pro’s base is equipped with a customizable odor-neutralizing puck that always ensures my home smells fresh.
How It Performed
The very first time I turned on the Shark Cordless Detect Pro, I was stunned by how surprisingly quiet it is compared to others I’ve used — including earlier models of Shark vacs. It’s comfortable to handle and glides over both carpet and hard flooring like a dream. As someone who swears by Shark vacuums, I didn’t think I’d notice a huge difference, but this one proved me wrong.
With dogs running around all day, I typically vacuum in multiple short sessions throughout the week. Even in these brief moments, using the Cordless Detect Pro makes a huge impact. I haven’t used the Eco mode much, but the Detect mode has impressed me a lot! It immediately registers dirt on the floor that the naked eye can’t see and my floors have never looked better. I especially love that I can take it from the carpet of my living room to the hard flooring of my dining area without a hassle. The vacuum also fits under low furniture, such as the bottom shelf of my console table where dog hair often gets trapped, which is a must for any vacuum I own.
What We Loved
- Auto-Detect – I can’t say enough how much I love the auto-detect feature of this vacuum! It cuts down on cleaning time because I don’t have to guess how dirty the floor actually is.
- Sealed Base – The sealed dock prevents dust from flying around as the vacuum self-empties. Not only does the vacuum keep the floor clean, it does its part to keep the air around it clear as well.
- Odor-Neutralizing Puck – This little disc is hidden on the vacuum dock, and you can control how much fragrance it releases. I keep the dial on a low setting, and it still makes a huge difference. Everyone that walks in always comments on how good my apartment smells. Good thing the vacuum is near the door!
- No-Wrap Brush Roll – Since I’m constantly vacuuming up dog hair, it’s great that it doesn’t clog up the vacuum.
Good to Know
While the Shark Cordless Detect Pro is good for small spaces, you should make sure that you have a dedicated spot where the vacuum can go. It might not take up a lot of room, but it needs room nonetheless.
Should You Buy the Shark Cordless Detect Pro Vacuum
If you’re in the market for a new vacuum and have your eye on this one, I’d gladly recommend it to anyone who:
- Has pets and/or children at home
- Wants a self-emptying vacuum that won’t overwhelm your space
- Wants a mountable vacuum that doesn’t require drilling holes in the wall
- Wants a powerful vacuum that takes the guesswork out of cleaning
Where to Buy the Shark Cordless Detect Pro Vacuum
Buy: Shark Cordless Detect Pro Vacuum, $449.99
This post originally appeared on Apartment Therapy. See it here: I’ve Tested Over a Dozen Vacuums, and This Is the One That Replaced Them All — Even My Robot Vacuum!