If your regular salad order skews toward a bowl of greens tossed with shrimp and a medley of chili-spiced ingredients for punchy Southwestern flare, this is the DIY salad kit to keep in your lunch rotation. And we've got a couple smart grocery store shortcuts help it come together fast.
Start with a Freezer Shortcut
A good source of protein is an essential element in any salad that serves as a meal. It's what helps to fill you up and keep you full. Here, we're going with convenience from the freezer aisle by starting with frozen cooked shrimp. There's no cooking necessary to get lunch ready — you just need to thaw the shrimp ahead of time.
How to Make This Salad Kit
This salad kit comes together with four ingredients and a simple vinaigrette made from pantry staples. Here's what you'll need.
chopped greens + shrimp + corn + avocado + cumin-lime vinaigrette
- Chopped greens: Start with any chopped greens for the salad base. Romaine is a great choice for some crunch, but any type of chopped greens will work well.
- Shrimp: Thaw a few frozen, cooked shrimp for a boost of protein.
- Corn: Take advantage of the season's fresh corn by removing the kernels from an ear. Or opt for convenience by thawing some frozen roasted corn (I especially love Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn).
- Avocado: Slice up half of a ripe avocado for topping. It's a little bit fatty, which helps makes this salad more filling.
- Cumin-lime vinaigrette: This simple smoky-tangy dressing brings it all together. Whisk together 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, about 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, plus a pinch of salt and pepper, then store it in a small resealable container.
Leave those bagged salad kits right where they are! With just a handful of ingredients you can make one that's way more impressive — and it's easier than you think. All it takes is a little inspiration, and that's where we come in. As part of our Lunch Box Bootcamp, this series will show you how to put together unique salad kits (even better than the ones from Trader Joe's!) for a week of totally impressive desk lunches.