For anyone who believes no lunch salad is complete without chicken, this is the salad kit you need to put together right now. It's inspired by a classic BLT sandwich and paired with seared, sliced chicken and a tangy yogurt ranch dressing on the side.
Pull together the components for this salad when you're meal prepping for the week and pack it up in a divided lunch box to keep each ingredient fresh. Then you've got a filling and flavor-packed midday meal that you'll really look forward to!
How to Make This Salad Kit
This salad kit comes together with four ingredients (plus an optional bonus ingredient) and a simple, creamy dressing made from a few kitchen basics. Here's what you'll need.
chopped romaine + chicken breast + bacon + tomato + yogurt ranch dressing
- Chopped romaine: Chopped crunchy romaine is a classic pick for a BLT-inspired salad.
- Seared chicken breast, sliced: Sear a chicken breast in a hot skillet on the stovetop (six to nine minutes per side), then slice it up for a punch of protein for your salad.
- Bacon: A BLT salad would be nothing without crumbled bacon. Cook up a few strips on the stovetop or in the microwave for a single salad kit, or use the oven to cook up a batch big — enough for the whole week.
- Tomato: Right now, the season's best are still flooding the market. Add some chopped tomato or halved cherry tomatoes to your salad kit.
- Avocado: Bonus ingredient! Avocados have a special way of making BLTs even better. If you have one on hand, chop it up and add it to your salad kit.
- Yogurt ranch dressing: A creamy and tangy ranch-inspired yogurt dressing brings this kit together. Whisk together 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon water, 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons finely chopped herbs (like chives, parsley, or mint), 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, plus a pinch of salt and pepper and then store it in a small resealable container.
Leave those bagged salad kits right where they are! With just a handful of ingredients you can make one that's way more impressive — and it's easier than you think. All it takes is a little inspiration, and that's where we come in. As part of our Lunch Box Bootcamp, this series will show you how to put together unique salad kits (even better than the ones from Trader Joe's!) for a week of totally impressive desk lunches.