Roundup: Our Best-Ever Tips for Summer Tomatoes
This week at The Kitchn we’ve been celebrating Tomato Week. It’s been, hands down, the tastiest week of the entire summer. Not to mention super informative (I finally know why tomatillos are sticky!).
Just in case you missed something along the way, we’ve rounded up all of this week’s amazing tomato posts (plus some extras), in one tidy spot. From what you need to know about different tomato varieties to growing your own (it’s never too early to start thinking about next year), essential tips for choosing & storing tomatoes, everything you need to know about cooking & preserving tomatoes, and of course all of our favorite tomato-inspired recipes.
Know your tomato varieties!
- Tomato of the Day: Sungold
- Tomato of the Day: Purple Bumblebee
- Tomato of the Day: Blush
- Tomato of the Day: Juliet
- What the Difference Between Grape and Cherry Tomatoes?
- What Are Dry-Farmed Tomatoes?
- The Very Best Tomatoes for Canning (and Why)
- Why Are Tomatillos Sticky?
- Why You Should Eat More Green Tomatoes
Tips for growing tomatoes:
Tips for choosing & storing tomatoes:
Tips for preparing & cooking tomatoes:
- Why a Serrated Knife Is the Best Tool to Slice Tomatoes
- Are You Using the Best Knife for Slicing Your Ripe Tomatoes?
- The 3 Best Ways to Peel a Tomato
- Kitchen Hack: The Fastest and Easiest Way to Slice a Bunch of Cherry Tomatoes
- How to Make Tomato Paste
- 5 Tips for Making Small Batches of Tomato Sauce
- Your Grater Is the Best Shortcut to Fast, Easy Tomato Sauce
- The Best Way to Deal with Whole Canned Tomatoes
Our best tips for eating (and drinking!) tomatoes:
- 5 Ways to Eat Tomatoes for Breakfast
- 4 Reasons Why Southerners Do Tomatoes Better Than Anyone Else
- 5 Ways to Pair Wine with Summer’s Fresh Tomatoes
- What Is Tomato Passata and How Should I Use It?
- 15 Delicious Ways to Use Tomatillos Any Time of Day
- 13 Recipes That Make the Most of Fresh Tomatoes
- 6 Tasty Dinner Featuring a Pint of Cherry Tomatoes
Our favorite Tomato Week recipes:
- Recipe: Pan-Seared Crispy Chicken Thighs with Blistered Tomatoes and Basil
- Recipe: Cousous & Goat Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes
- Recipe: Tomato Salad with Red Onion, Dill and Feta
- Recipe: Tomato Soup Cupcakes
- Recipe: Rotel-Style Tomatoes
- Recipe: No-Cook Tomato Sauce
- Recipe: Tomato Cobbler with Cornmeal-Cheddar Biscuits
- Recipe: Homemade V-8 Juice
- Recipe: Bloody Beer
- Recipe: BLT Bites with Avocado Cream