These 5-Ingredient Sandwiches Are the Best Road Trip Food You Can Make
Welcome to Snapshot Cooking, the home of Kitchn’s easiest recipes. These mini recipes are so simple you can practically cook from the before-and-after snapshot itself.
With a handful of pantry ingredients and a few minutes of prep, you can pack a cooler full of car-ride-ready sandwiches that both you and the kids will enjoy. These portable, mess-free sammies are the best type of road trip fuel: they’ll fill you up (saving you from greasy drive-through fare) and won’t leave the car a total mess of crumbs. From apple, brie, and turkey to a peanut butter and granola-filled wrap, there’s something here for every passenger.
6 (5-Ingredient) Easy Car Sandwiches
- Serving size: Each of these recipes yields 1 sandwich, but can easily be scaled up.
- The bread: You’ll want to skip soft sandwich bread, which is prone to sogginess. Instead, these sandwiches are built on heartier breads like crusty baguettes, kaiser rolls, or tortillas.
- The protein: Proteins range from turkey, ham, and bacon to vegetarian-friendly eggs and avocado.
- The extras: The remaining 3 ingredients are what give these sandwiches texture and flavor. They range from cheese to fruit to condiments, like mustard and mayo.
- The storage: Warm sandwiches, like the peanut butter wrap, should be wrapped in foil (though you can also serve it cold). The rest should be wrapped in parchment paper and packed in a resealable plastic bag, or a cloth napkin secured with a string.
Split 1 (6-inch) piece French baguette in half lengthwise. Spread 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard on the cut sides of baguette. Cut 2 ounces brie cheese into 1/4-inch thick slices and place on the bottom half of the baguette. Top with 6 thin slices Granny Smith apple and 4 ounces thinly sliced roast turkey. Close the sandwich with the top half of the baguette.
Split 1 (6-inch) piece French baguette in half lengthwise. Stir together 1 tablespoon pesto with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise; spread onto both cut sides of baguette. Thinly slice 1 hard-boiled egg and place on the bottom half the of baguette. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Close the sandwich with the top half of the baguette.
Split 1 kaiser roll in half. Place 2 ounces sliced deli chicken breast on the bottom half of the roll. Spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard onto chicken. Top with 1 slice cheddar cheese and 2 slices cooked bacon. Close the sandwich with the top of the roll.
Smash 1/2 of an avocado with a little salt and pepper. Spread onto 2 thick slices sourdough bread. Top one slice with 1/2 small ripe tomato, sliced, 2 thick slices whole-milk mozzarella cheese, and 4 fresh basil leaves. Close the sandwich with second slice of bread.
Split 1 (6-inch) piece French baguette in half lengthwise. Spread the bottom half with 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard. Layer 2 ounces unsmoked, thinly sliced deli ham and 2 thin slices Gruyere cheese on top of the mustard. Top with 2 to 3 thinly sliced cornichons. Close the sandwich with the top half of the baguette.
Spread 2 tablespoons peanut butter evenly over 1 (8-to 10-inch) whole-wheat tortilla, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with 1 small diced banana, 2 tablespoons granola, and 1 teaspoon honey. Tightly roll up like a burrito.
Optional: Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Brush both sides of wrap with olive oil. Place seam-side down and cook until golden-brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and repeat. Remove from pan and cut in half.