How are you staying cool these July days? For me, there comes a time in the summer when ice cream always sounds good, and honestly, better than anything else. I could eat ice cream three times a day in late July and August, and while I don't usually indulge those cravings, I do love making homemade ice cream to share with friends. Ice cream has been a popular topic for us here at The Kitchn, and so I present to you 20 delicious recipes from our own kitchens.
Ice cream has been a popular topic for us here at The Kitchn, and so I present to you 20 delicious recipes from our own kitchens. From the ultimate chocolate ice cream, to Savannah buttermint to peanut butter ice cream with banana chunks, there's plenty here to keep your ice cream maker busy. Or try a tangy lemon ice cream, or cheesecake ice cream with big chunks of summer strawberries. And don't miss the ideas for ice cream sandwiches, or the recipe for homemade ice cream cones.
It's summer and ice cream season — take your pick!
15 Ice Creams to Keep You Cool (and Sweet)
• 1 The Best Chocolate Ice Cream - Classic chocolate ice cream.
• 2 Old-Fashioned Cocoa Ice Cream - More cocoa, less chocolate. Old-fashioned and sweet.
• 3 Mexican Chocolate and Almond Ice Cream - Spiced up, with nutty almonds.
• 4 Dark Chocolate Ice Cream With Fig and Cardamom - A sassy twist on chocolate ice cream.
• 5 Savannah Buttermint Ice Cream - Buttery, minty ice cream.
• 6 Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream - Another take on mint ice cream, with plenty of garden mint.
• 7 Rose Geranium Ice Cream with Pistachios - Rose geranium gives this a delicate floral flavor.
• 8 Salted Almond Ice Cream - Nutty, salty, sweet.
• 9 Coffee Ice Cream with Hot Fudge Sauce - Coffee ice cream — such a crowd favorite!
• 10 Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Banana Chunks - Peanut butter ice cream — hurray!
• 11 Brown Butter Ice Cream - Buttery ice cream, amazing with autumn cobblers.
• 12 Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Trader Joe's Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Crackers - Ice cream with chocolate and peanut butter crunchy crackers.
FRUITY & SPICY
• 13 Strawberry Ice Cream with Cacao Nibs - Sweet ice cream with intense pops of cacao.
• 14 Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream - Cheesecake ice cream!
• 15 Quick Coconut Ice Cream with Roasted Cherries - An extra-easy ice cream base studded with soft, roasted cherries.
• 16 Sour Cherry-Almond Ice Cream with Chocolate Chunks - Cherries and almonds are a classic pairing.
• 17 Creamy, Tangy Lemon Ice Cream - A zesty lemon ice cream.
• 18 Ginger Ice Cream - Spicy ice cream with plenty of fresh ginger.
EXTRA-QUICK (NO ICE CREAM MAKER NEEDED!)
• 19 1-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream - Plus step-by-step instructions on making this sort of amazing treat.
• 20 Almost-Instant Sweet Wine Ice Cream - A soft, luscious ice cream that needs no special equipment at all.
A Few Ice Cream Tips, Tricks & Other Good Ideasl
• How to make ice cream cones. From scratch.
• Can you make blender ice cream out of avocado? We try.
• How to make ice cream without an ice cream maker - perhaps the best way to get around purchasing an ice cream maker.
• Ice cream toppings, from boozy cherries to fudge sauce....
Ice Cream Gear
• Ina Garten's favorite ice cream maker (and ice cream)
• Product Review: Cuisinart ICE-21 Ice Cream Maker - A basic yet very effective ice cream maker.
• Product Review: DeLonghi Gelato Maker - This machine is fancier (and much more expensive) but it has its advantages.
Are you making any ice creams this week? What has been your favorite flavor this summer?)
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)