An Apple for Every Meal: 15 Sweet Apple Treats
Today we kick off a week of autumn fruit! The Kitchn will be setting out a fruit bowl of pears, plums, quince, figs, grapes, and persimmons for you this week. But the sweet bounty of autumn harvest must start with the most elemental fruit of all: Apples. We have 15 of our favorite apple recipes for you here, from a sweet and tender apple-yogurt cake, to a whole grain apple breakfast strata. Read on for apple recipes for every meal, including tea-time.
The humble apple is easily brushed aside for more glamorous fruits like peaches and figs, and it has suffered at the hands of grocery stores who let their customers believe that mealy Red Delicious apples are the pinnacle of what this fruit offers. Not so, we say! The sweet, modest apple is the quiet star of fall fruit — American as apple pie, carried from hill to orchard by Johnny Appleseed; and mushed into applesauce, pressed into cider, baked into double-crust pie.
Don’t let its ubiquity keep you from enjoying it this fall; embrace its presence as a sign of the harvest, and pull the cinnamon from the cupboards. You can easily eat apples at every meal of the day — here’s how:
APPLE CAKES (FOR AFTER SUPPER)
• 1 Apple Yogurt Cake with a Cinnamon-Sugar Streak – A quick, one-bowl recipe. Simple enough for breakfast, yummy enough for dessert.
• 2 Sticky Spiked Double-Apple Cake with a Brown Sugar-Brandy Sauce – A wicked awesome recipe. You have to make it at least once!
• 3 Apple Cardamom Upside-Down Cake – Cardamom scents this rustic and delicious apple cake.
• 4 Apple Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Meringue – A review of a Food52 recipe, a cake with a heady topping of meringue.
APPLES FOR BREAKFAST
• 5 Apple & Cinnamon Whole Grain Breakfast Strata – A lightened-up breakfast casserole.
• 6 Hearty & Healthy Apple Muffins – Seriously hearty muffins, with no eggs or dairy.
• 7 Shelby’s Shredded Apple Muesli – A no-cook quick breakfast.
• 8 Apple Bettelman (Alsatian bread pudding) – A lovely bite for breakfast from Clotilde, one of our favorite bloggers.
APPLE TREATS & SNACKS (FOR THE LUNCH BOX)
• 9 Apple Gouda Oatmeal Cookies – Apples baked with gouda cheese into a lacy jumble of oatmeal cookie.
• 10 Oatmeal-Brown Sugar Baked Apples – Apples stuffed with oats and brown sugar.
• 11 Crispy Turnovers with Apple, Bacon, and Caramelized Onions – A sweet-savory turnover, good for breakfast or for lunch.
• 12 Rosemary Apple Turnovers with Honey – One more simple turnover, so sweet and easy.
What’s your favorite apple treat — for breakfast, lunch, tea-time or after supper?
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)