Pizza & Beyond: 15 Italian Recipes Everyone Should Know
Between the tomatoes, the basil, and the easy-cooking fresh pasta, Italian cuisine tends to be my go-to inspiration in the summer. Knowing a few basic Italian-inspired (and Italian-American!) recipes can help you throw together fresh, impromptu meals in the summer with a minimum of recipe research and prep. Throw fresh tomatoes on a bed of quick pizza dough and grill; make a last-minute batch of fresh pasta, and toss with basil and ricotta. Read on for 15 classic Italian-inspired recipes we think everyone should know.
Any one of these sauces will make leftover sausage or a quick bowl of pasta into a great meal.
• 6 Basic Tomato Sauce (with Optional Zing!) – A simple, basic tomato sauce.
• 7 Slow-Cooked Bolognese Sauce – That classic, slow-cooked Italian flavor with a heaping helping of meat. Make in the slow cooker to keep your kitchen cool.
• 8 Uncooked Tomato Sauce – Or go the other direction and make sauce with no cooking at all.
These delicious meatball recipes are also good grilled. Use a grill basket or string them on bamboo skewers.
RISOTTO, GNOCCHI & POLENTA
Pasta gets all the starchy glory, but it’s not the only carb in the Italian cook’s repertoire. Try one of these easy meal bases.
• 11 Easy Ricotta Gnocchi – Tender little dumplings.
• 12 Red Pepper, Sausage, and Chard Risotto – A simple risotto with summer vegetables.
• 13 Homemade Piadinas – Sort of like an Italian burrito!
• 14 How To Make a Quick Bowl of Polenta in the Microwave – Polenta is good for so many things, and it’s easy to make in the microwave.
• 15 Eggy, Crispy Polenta with Tomatoes & Mushrooms – An easy dinner, lunch, or even breakfast.
What are your go-to Italian recipes in the summertime?
(Images: See linked recipe for full image credits)