It didn't take long to round up 19 examples of chalkboard walls (and cabinets...and refrigerators...). What is a simple, humble, utilitarian accessory in so many European restaurants has become a trendy design element in American kitchens. However, just because they're everywhere doesn't mean they aren't cute.
Our number one concern whenever we see chalkboards in the kitchen is: What happens to the dust? Obviously it's no more insidious than flying flour, but somehow it seems ickier. Anyone with a chalkboard like to share the cleanup details?
1. A farmhouse kitchen - from Apartment Therapy.
2. A full wall in a small kitchen, from Cottage Living.
3. See the chalk sitting on the granite ledge? From Apartment Therapy.
4. Chalk-covered cabinet doors, from Apartment Therapy.
5. A small sliver in a very modern kitchen, from the KItchn (via Dwell).
6. Backsplash in a black and white kitchen, from our Small Cool Kitchens contest.
7. Framed chalkboard on a door, from Country Living.
8. Part of a green kitchen renovation, from the Kitchn.
9. Chalkboard and magnetic! From Apartment Therapy.
10. Kid-friendly spot on the side of the fridge, from the Kitchn.
11. Chalkboard cabinet fronts, from Re-Nest (via The Selby)
12. Integrated into a pink kitchen, from Design*Sponge.
13. Simple spot for grocery lists, from the Kitchn.
14. A great how-to on creating a chalkboard wall, from Apartment Therapy.
15. A chalkboard refrigerator, from Apartment Therapy.
16. Cool family message center, from the Kitchn.
17. Subtly matches the cabinets, from the Kitchn (via Elle Decor).
18. One more green fridge how-to, from Apartment Therapy.
19. A true restaurant-inspired recipe wall, from The Kitchn.
(Images: Ann Manubay, Dabney Frake; Nick Steever; Laura Moss; Jason Loper; Misty Adair; Katie McElwee; Kristen; Keith Scott Morton; Jeremy Levine Design; Alison Gilbert; Tracy/Shutterbean; The Selby; Danielle Deboe; Jill Slater; Audrey; Chichi/My Chalkboard Fridge; Elizabeth F. Clayton; Tara Striano; Danny Seo)