Popcorn to Chile Mangos: 5 Unusual Ice Cream Toppings
Why limit yourself to cherries and chocolate sauce? The world of ice cream toppings is wide open to your imagination and pantry. Here are five somewhat unusual toppings that add fun color, texture, and flavor to a scoop of ice cream.
• Popcorn: Elevate plain vanilla ice cream with a handful of crunchy buttered popcorn, caramel corn, or kettle corn.
• Goji berries: Sweet-tart goji berries are lovely on top of chocolate ice cream. Plus, you can pretend your dessert is a superfood.
• Beans: Sweeter than most beans, red adzuki beans are a staple in East Asian desserts. Try them with a scoop of green tea or coconut ice cream.
• Mochi: You may be familiar with the soft, chewy mochi cubes at frozen yogurt shops like Pinkberry. Did you know they’re easy to make at home?
• Chile mangos: Add a kick with dried chile spiced mangos. Here’s a reader recipe for ice cream with chile mangos folded inside and sprinkled on top.
Tell us about the unusual ice cream toppings you enjoy!