Are you craving a little green this time of year? How about some plants in your kitchen? Herbs, ivy, potted flowers? We love having fresh herbs to snip, but even non-edible plants brighten a kitchen and make it feel more like home. Here's a look at a few real-life kitchens and the ways that they've incorporated living plants.
• 1 42anderson's Love, Eat, Party - An entry in Small Cool 2007. Love how the pots in the window take advantage of every scrap of urban sunlight without blocking the view or light to the rest of the kitchen.
• 2 Monika's Evolving Experiment - A trail of ivy defines the boundary between kitchen and living area.
• 3 Abby's Mom's Home - A cozy, old-fashioned New York apartment with a whole window of plants.
• 4 Mariah's Eclectic House of Curios and Collectibles - This San Francisco kitchen has small green things growing in every corner, it seems!
• 5 Mariah's kitchen - Another set of plants in Mariah's kitchen.
• 6 Karen and James' Color Commitment - Bold and red on the countertop.
• 8 Ben's Mid-Century Mecca - Ben has an unusual element in his tiny urban kitchen: a bonsai. A nod to the pressures and pleasures of small urban living, perhaps?
• 9 Jeremy's Lovely Vertical Kitchen Storage - So much green here; we like how the plants and accessories work so well together.
• 10 Brian's New Beginning - Here the plants really help an eat-in kitchen feel more cozy and homey.
• 11 Margaret's Recession Proof Home - It's great how Margaret casually throws a plant in with the jumble of diverse and interesting ingredients on her counter.
• 12 Chad and Ed's Warm Neutrals - This kitchen is fairly dark, but the plants seem to thrive here.
• 13 Chad and Ed's kitchen - An up-close shot: geraniums, in the kitchen! They have such a wonderful smell.
• 14 Chris and Nyla's Passive Solar Cottage - Wow, this is a lot of plants! They echo the view of the trees outside.
• 15 Adelle and Justin's British Retro Modern - From a favorite kitchen tour. Fresh basil is such a good thing to keep around!
Do you have plants in the kitchen, and how do you keep them alive? If you have photos, post them here, and we'll do a roundup next week of readers' plants in the kitchen!
Related: Hot or Not? Ivy In the Kitchen
(Images: Please see linked posts for individual photo credits.)