Pho and Beyond: 10 Comforting Asian Noodle Soups
As the weather gets darker and chillier, my craving for Asian noodle soups gets ever stronger. Light yet satisfying and deeply comforting, these ten noodle soup recipes — including Japanese miso-spiked ramen, fragrant Vietnamese pho and spicy curry noodles — are sure to hit the spot.
Great broth is often the centerpiece of Asian noodle soups, so use homemade if you have it, or doctor up low-sodium store-bought broth with miso paste, whole spices, and even green tea. And don’t feel that constrained by the noodles called for in the recipe. My favorite Asian noodle joint in town lets diners match their soups to the noodles of their choice, and I’ve never found a combination I didn’t like.
• Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup
• Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
• Udon Noodle Soup with Bok Choy and Poached Egg
• Miso Ramen at Steamy Kitchen
• Jasmine Chicken Soup with Green Tea Soba at Sunset
• Cantonese Roast Duck Soup Noodles at Serious Eats
• Thai Chicken Coconut Soup at Epicurious
• Poached Salmon and Soba Noodles with Ginger Broth at Donna Hay
• Ramen with Ginger Roasted Squash and Crispy Pork Belly at Sunset
• Spicy Curry Noodle Soup with Chicken and Sweet Potato at Bon Appetit
What’s your favorite Asian noodle soup?
Related: 11 Gluten-Free Asian Noodles