We ran a lot of stories about things like plastic wrap and aluminum foil this year. It's admittedly not the sexiest topic out there, but you guys literally ate it up. Because every home cook in the world finds herself with leftovers or in need of some parchment paper. In case you missed it — or just need a refresher — here are our best stories from 2017 on these oh-so-important necessities.
In terms of regular, everyday plastic wrap (versus something fancy like a Press'n Seal situation), there's really just one brand worth buying. We're not the only ones who think so either — Ina agrees with us.
- Our Editors' Favorite Plastic Wrap Is the Same Brand Ina Uses
- 3 Surprising Ways Plastic Wrap Can Help You Pack a Suitcase
We're also pretty brand-loyal when it comes to aluminum foil. Buy the right roll and you'll be able to use it over and over again (yes, you should use your foil more than once!) and you can even clean with it.
- Our Favorite Aluminum Foil Is a Classic for a Reason
- Stop Throwing Out Your Aluminum Foil
- This Aluminum Foil Fact Is a Game-Changer
- What's the Difference Between Regular and Heavy-Duty Aluminum Foil?
- This Is Why Aluminum Foil Is Shiny on One Side
- 5 Ways to Use Aluminum Foil to Clean
Reusable and plastic baggies
Regular zip-top plastic baggies can also be reused. Plus, we obsessed over some silicone bags and even IKEA's bags, which are just as good as (and cuter than) name-brand ones.
- The One Thing You Should Be Doing with Your Ziploc Bags
- What's the Difference Between Freezer Bags and Regular Zip-Top Bags?
- These Reusable Baggies Will Make You Rethink Plastic Storage Bags
- How IKEA's Plastic Bags Stand Up to Name-Brand Ones
Anyone who bakes (sweet treats or even chicken and fish!) knows the importance of quality parchment paper. We talked all about our favorite way to buy parchment paper and the differences between the other stuff on the market.
- What's the Difference Between Wax Paper and Parchment Paper?
- The Best Way to Buy Parchment Paper Is Not What You Think
- What Is Freezer Paper, and How Is It Different from Wax Paper & Parchment?
- What's the Difference Between Bleached and Unbleached Parchment Paper?
While a lot of people are switching to glass, there are still plenty of plastic users out there. (We sure use plastic sometimes!) We covered cleaning them, storing them, and what you need to know about BPA.