Keep a stash of orzo in your pantry and you can feel confident that an easy dinner the whole family will love is never far from reach. The small, rice-shaped pasta cooks up quickly and can be turned into an infinite number of meals, which makes it a superhero in the kitchen — especially on busy weeknights.
These 15 recipes show just how capable this little pasta is, whether it's tossed into soups, cooked like risotto, or baked into a casserole.
Soups and Salads
Orzo's petite, rice-like size makes it perfect for easily slurping up with a spoon from your bowl of soup or grabbing a forkful of it in salad form. It's a common addition to traditional Greek avgolemono soup, and brings something new to the same ol' chicken Caesar salad routine.
- How To Make Greek Egg and Lemon Soup (Avgolemono)
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Crispy Chicken Caesar Orzo Salad
- Orzo Salad with Roasted Cauliflower, Pine Nuts, and Parsley
- Orzo Salad with Spinach Pesto, Olives & Feta
Since orzo is small, it cooks up incredibly fast. That makes it an all-star ingredient when you're taking about one-pot or one-pan meals. Cook some veggies or meat; add the orzo with some broth, water, or milk; and let the liquid absorb into the pasta to cook it and leave behind a creamy sauce.
- Creamy Spinach Parmesan Orzo
- Broccolini, Chicken Sausage, and Orzo Skillet
- One-Pot Orzo Pasta with Feta, Olives & Artichokes
- Carbonara Orzotto
- Stovetop Tuna Orzo Casserole with Broccoli
- Creamy Corn and Basil Orzotto
Other Orzo Favorites
It doesn't just stop at soup and one-pot dinners. Add cooked orzo to a big pan full of sautéed veggies and it crisps up and adds bulk to the meal. Or use it as a bed for just about any protein (although seared scallops are especially nice).