From The Email: Favorite Sounds of the Kitchen
A version of this post was originally sent to our email subscribers on June 5th. To receive Sara Kate’s weekly email, sign up in the column to the left or click here. Something tasty will arrive in your inbox every Thursday.
We were all sitting around in LA last weekend, having a BBQ at my mother’s house for the staff of Apartment Therapy: LA, and we got to talking about our favorite sounds of the home. I think it was the trickle of mom’s little garden fountain that got us started.
As they went around the table compiling their list, I tuned out listening to the meat sizzle on the grill. My mind quickly turned to the kitchen, since most of my favorite home sounds come from that one room. My ten came quickly. I bet yours will too.
Favorite Sounds of the Kitchen
- The pop of a bottle of wine being opened
- The crack of a hard boiled egg tapped on a counter
- Sharpening a knife on a steel
- The soft rip of a warm baguette being opened (see Gregory’s #3)
- The shatter of ice when liquid hits it
- The noises of someone, anyone, making breakfast while I’m still in bed
- The clank of a rolling pin against my mother’s ringed fingers
- The whir of our old electric juicer
- The crunchy snap of an apple being bitten
- The sizzle of meat hitting a hot grill
Write to us and tell us your favorite sounds. We’ll publish them next week.
Last Week’s Posted Email: From The Email: Dressing Up Grilled Corn