Nutritious and Delicious Kid-Friendly Vegetarian Meals and Snacks
Looking for nutritious, tasty meal ideas for your tots that don’t rely on meat? Look no further! From tiny tortillas to fruit smoothies, these five vegetarian foods are perfect for kids.
1. Mini Versions Of Large Things: It’s easier to make real meals in mini forms instead of coming up with snacks all the time. It can also be cheaper, but picking good meals to make in smaller form is key to success. Try making mini vegan pot pies or lasagna in muffin tins or even pizza poppers with your favorite meat-free fixings.
2. Smoothies Kids aren’t into eating a big dinner anyway, so a smoothie full of color and packed with flavor and nutrients is exactly what the doctor ordered. Make it a frozen smoothie and it’s like getting a shake for dinner. Um, score! Check out this collection of super satisfying smoothies.
3. Creamy Things: Hummus, yogurt, oatmeal and applesauce are all favorites. They’re easy to dip in and snack on.
4. Mexican Pizza: This pizza is a hearty and wholesome dinner when it’s made with warm refried beans and piled with veggies. You can go with more traditional veggie pizza options, but somehow Mexican pizza seems special. Check out this recipe for Southwestern Pizza with Black Beans and Corn (making adjustments where needed).
5. Burritos and Wraps: Anything in a tortilla (let’s be honest now) is extra awesome. It’s a great way to sneak in marinated tofu, lentils, beans and rice. Fry some into taquitos (use veggies instead of meat!), make a quesadilla, bean burrito or just eat the tortilla with some peanut butter!
Do you have any great kid friendly vegetarian snack or meal ideas you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below!
Related: Vegetables Even a Toddler Will Love
It’s Reader Request Week at The Kitchn! This post was requested by MissDewey & HACB.
(Image: Emma Christensen)