Nothing Could Be Finer than Eating on This Diner Dinnerware
Diners are magical places. They serve Reubens, fried chicken, French toast, patty melts, and pancakes. They can whip up eggs in ways you never knew possible, and have rotating cases packed with pies. They’re typically open all hours and will serve you breakfast whether it’s 1 a.m. or 1 p.m.
And the atmosphere is just as memorable, from the vinyl seats and flickering fluorescents to the laminated menus and napkin dispensers. If you want to add a dash of diner flare to your daily routine, trying slinging hash, meatloaf, or any other meal onto one of these diner-inspired dinner sets.
1. Cinnabar Band Dinner Plate, $19 at Fishs Eddy: This classic pattern is still being used at diners all over the country — that’s because it’s built to last. It’s built to match any decor, too, since this plate and all the other optional pieces also come in black and green.
2. Good Morning Plate, $20 at P.O.S.H.: This commercial-grade plate gives new meaning to four of the greatest words in the English language: “Breakfast served all day.”
3. Homer Laughlin Checkers Plate, $100 for 12 at WebstaurantStore: This pattern is another blast from the past. Besides plates, the oven-to-table collection includes 19 different dishwasher-safe pieces, including cups, saucers, and serving platters.
4. Diamond Rodeo Melamine Diner Plate, $15 at Retro Planet: You don’t have to be a cowboy to rustle up some vittles on this retro-style melamine set. It’s stylish and sturdy enough for eating indoors or out on the range.
5. Diner Whites, Starts at $2 at Fishs Eddy: You can’t go wrong with classic diner white — especially when there are so many cute pieces in this set. Make sure to snag the milk bottle and berry basket!
6. Greenbrier CAC China GS-16 Plate, $38 for 12 at Tiger Chef: These plates deliver diner flare at diner prices. The set also has 35 optional cup and plate add-ons.
7. Manhattan Blue Plate Special Dinner Plate, $25 at Fishs Eddy: What’s today’s special? Pretty much anything that’s served on this classic-style ceramic plate.
8. Pancakes Make People Happy Plate, $20 at P.O.S.H.: Is there anything more perfect than a fluffy plate of flapjacks? Yes, and it’s this plate — and possibly the matching mugs, which can also display your love for the classic breakfast of champions.
9. Pyrex Milk Glass Set, $50 for 16 at Etsy: They don’t really make sets like this anymore. This is a great starter package, with 16 pieces of sturdy milk glass in Pyrex’s “pink flamingo” pattern.