It might seem old-fashioned, but the classic holiday relish tray, with its assortment of pickled vegetables, briny olives and crudité, is actually a smart way to start a big holiday meal: crunchy, a little salty and not too heavy. But that doesn't mean you have to stick to grandma's cut-glass tray and canned black olives. Here are 12 fresh recipes and ideas for putting together a more modern relish tray.
Most relish trays include an assortment of raw and pickled vegetables, and some people like to include a dip for the crudité. Shake things up a bit by skipping the usual bagged baby carrots and cherry tomatoes and shopping for some unusual seasonal vegetables instead. And all of these recipes can be made several days in advance, so they don't require any extra kitchen work on the day of the big meal. No wonder the relish tray is a classic.
PICKLES & OLIVES
- 1 Garlic & Coriander Quick Pickled Baby Carrots
- 2 Quick Pickled Mushrooms
- 3 Quick Pickled Cherry Peppers
- 4 Crunchy, Spicy Pickled Grapes
- 5 Martini-Soaked Olives
- 6 Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi Bites
DIPS & SPREADS
- 7 Creamy Tofu and Green Pea Dip
- 8 Creamy, Cool Herbed Yogurt Dip
- 9 Baba Ghanoush (Smoky Eggplant Dip)
NOT THE USUAL VEGETABLES
What kinds of appetizers do you serve before a big holiday meal?