Not Flour, Cauliflower! 5 Gluten-Free Vegetable Crust Pizzas
Have you noticed vegetable crust pizza recipes popping up around the web lately? Replacing the usual yeasted flour dough base with shredded vegetables like zucchini, potato and cauliflower, these low-carb, gluten-free alternatives fulfill your pizza craving without the wheat.
Most recipes hold the vegetables together with some type of binder, such as almond meal, chickpea flour or an egg. Softer doughs can be formed into circles and baked or grilled like traditional pizza dough, while the crusts made solely of vegetables are more delicate. Either way, these recipes are a great way to get a few more veggies into your pizza dinner.
• Potato Crust Pizza (pictured): Simple shredded potatoes can be used in place of a traditional crust.
• Cauliflower Crust Pizza: Cauliflower, almond meal and egg make a flatbread-like dough.
• Zucchini Crust Pizza Margherita at Kalyn’s Kitchen: Zucchini, parmesan, almond meal and egg form a green, gluten-free dough.
• Eggplant Crust Pizza at Secret Menu: Thin slices of eggplant are overlapped and baked, then topped like a pizza.
• Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Pizza with Sweet Potato Socca Crust at The Lean Green Bean: Mashed sweet potato and chickpea flour are used to form the dough in this intriguing recipe. (Note: skip the soy sauce used in the sauce if you want to keep the recipe gluten-free.)
Do you ever make vegetable crust pizzas?
Related: Look! Cauliflower Pizza Crust