Editor’s Choice: Nora S.’s Favorite Posts of 2008 Best of 2008
Here are her favorite posts from The Kitchn’s past year.
Food Science Posts:
• Food Science: The Science Behind Nonstick Cooking Spray
• Food Science: The Anatomy of a Pie Crust
• Does Putting a Spoon into Champagne Keep it Bubbly?
• Food Science: The Difference Between White Meat and Dark Meat
• Food Science: How Popcorn Pops
• Food Science: The Case for Oven Finishing
I’m a huge fan of these because they’re so informative. They answer questions I didn’t know I had (or didn’t think could be answered!) And every so often there’s a post that refers to something I’ve always wondered about.
• One Weekend, Two Dinner Parties– I think we’ve all found ourselves in this kind of (pleasant) conundrum. I loved reading about how Elizabeth planned menus that eased stress but maintained variation, and her tips were helpful, too…
• Faith’s Wedding Cake: The Homemade Wedding Cake I think the pictures speak for themselves. Such a great chronicle of a successful undertaking. I felt like I was there!
• Straight Up: How to Create Your Own Cocktail Recipes– Super helpful tips from our mixologist-in-residence. The post gave me a really great sense of what to think about when making up your own cocktail. When I mix cocktails that I make up myself, they tend to be pretty haphazard, constructed without much mindfulness as to the ratio of alcohol to non-alcoholic components. This post made me think a bit more about what I could do with my cocktails and how to experiment beforehand to come up with a well-constructed recipe.