Deadline for Kitchn Writer Submissions is Monday
The Kitchn is growing by leaps and bounds these days – welcome to all the new readers who have recently joined us!
REMINDER: We are looking for a few new writers from San Francisco and New York. We’re excited about growing this year and are looking for a few good bloggers to help us.
The deadline for submissions is Monday, and all the details are below. We hope to hear from you!
As we grow, we are looking for some new voices to join our team and help us broaden our coverage of all things related to food, cooking, and the kitchen. We’re looking for several new writers and we want to extend the call first to you, our faithful readers.
UPDATE: The deadline for submissions is Monday, January 14, and we expect the time commitment for each position to range between 10-15 hours a week.
Interested in blogging for us? Read on for submission guidelines…
We are looking for smart writers with a great sense of the importance of food and cooking in modern urban life. We’re especially interested in drawing in a couple of San Francisco writers to cover their local beat. We would also like another New York writer to really cover this local area. But while we are very keen on hiring from San Francisco and New York, if you’re located elsewhere don’t let that deter you from submitting! We believe in finding the right people first and letting that guide other decisions.
You should have experience with food and cooking, although it’s not necessary to be a professional chef or caterer. Love of good food and warm hospitality and curiosity in the kitchen are the chief ingredients that we’re looking for. And writing, of course – you need to be able to write and edit well.
We think of all of our sites like radio shows: they are about collecting great resources, hosting the local community and bringing people together. It is not all about you, you, you. And, yes, we do pay our writers.
If you’re still reading and still interested, look through our requirements here and then jump down to our submission guidelines. We hope that a few of you are up for helping us take the site to a whole new level of deliciousness.
What we’re looking for…
- New York: One writer who is strong in covering the local scene, especially stores and market events. If it’s related to food and cooking in the New York city area, you’re on it!
- San Francisco: One writer who also loves checking out new stores, events, and resources for the cooking crowd. You’re aware of the seasons and what’s available and happening.
- San Francisco: One writer who may not get out to the stores and events so much, but you are a cook and you are full of tips, recipes, and ideas to share. You’re good at finding stuff online and pointing others to good ideas.
What you need…
- A love for food, cooking, and the kitchen!
- An understanding and commitment to our mission
- Superlative writing and editing skills
- Capacity and commitment to writing weekly and daily
- A reliable, up-to-date computer
- A reliable internet connection
- Internet and computer-savviness
- A good-quality digital camera
- Good photography skills
- Basic photo editing software
- Comfort with very basic photo editing (cropping and such)
Helpful but not necessary…
- Previous blogging experience
- Previous experience in Movable Type blogging software
- Experience in graphic design or photography
Please submit the following to THEKITCHN (at) GMAIL (dot) COM with “KITCHN SUBMISSION” in big letters in the subject header, by Monday, January 14th:
- Your name
- Where you live
- How did you find The Kitchn?
- How familiar are you with blogging?
- Five ideas for posts – either running weekly features, or one-time articles
- Three sample posts: One store review, one product review or post, and either one ORIGINAL recipe or one cooking tip/how-to. Keep posts 100-300 words maximum.
- Two photos that you have taken yourself. One needs to be of food, ideally food that you cooked. Another should be non-food – ie a kitchen, a product, or in a store.
Thanks, and good luck!