Here is your one-stop shop for gluten-free cooking and baking. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner — you're covered. In Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking, Kelli and Peter Bronski give us a collection of recipes that prove beyond a doubt that going gluten-free doesn't mean sacrificing favorite foods or great flavor.
• Who wrote it: Kelli and Peter Bronski
• Who published it: The Experiment
• Number of recipes: 275
• Recipes for right now: French Toast Casserole, Cinnamon Rolls, Pigs in a Blanket, Meat Lovers' Lasagna, Cider Bacon Chicken, Brussels Sprouts and Tofu Fried Rice, Frosted Sugar Cookies, Coconut Macaroons, Pumpkin Pie, Dessert Crepes
• Other highlights: When suddenly faced with a gluten-free diet, it's easy to feel like your food options have shrunk down to a handful of uninspiring dishes. Kelli and Peter Bronski dismiss that notion entirely, providing recipe after recipe as evidence to the contrary. Not only do they give the anticipated gluten-free versions of breads, cookies, and cakes, but they include dozens of meals and desserts that are naturally gluten-free.
For all of their gluten-free baking recipes, the authors use their favorite all-purpose blend of brown rice flour, sorghum flour, cornstarch, potato starch, potato flour, and xanthan gum. They suggest mixing up a big batch and using this blend for everything from sandwich bread to pie crust.
I also appreciate how the authors point out in each recipe which ingredients need to be double-checked for gluten. Someone who is newly gluten-free or who isn't used to cooking for people on a gluten-free diet wouldn't necessarily think to check things like bacon or chicken broth for gluten. This book helps ease us into the gluten-free mindset when cooking.
• Who would enjoy this book? People on a gluten-free diet, especially people who are new to the diet.
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking: 275 Great-Tasting, From-Scratch Recipes from Around the World by Kelli and Peter Bronski
• Visit Kelli and Peter Bronski's website: No Gluten, No Problem
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)