National Food Roundup: Olive BreadFrom Nationwide Newspaper Food Sections 05.27.09
It may be the season for salads and grilling, but comfort food doesn’t seem to be going anywhere – it’s just a little lighter for summer. We’ve rounded up a few recipes below, and why not start with a slice of homemade olive bread?
- It may take 10-12 days to prepare the sourdough starter, but the Providence Journal says this Olive Bread from Seven Stars Bakery (pictured) is well worth the wait.
- The Denver Post’s Black Mushroom Fideau combines two kinds of pasta with fresh mushrooms, a homemade broth and garlic aioli.
- The San Francisco Chronicle celebrates the marriage of pasta and vegetables and maps out the rest of the summer with the perfect seasonal recipe for each month. For May, it’s Asparagus Broth with Seashell Pasta, Lime & Pecorino, and June is Zucchini, Fava & Arugula Soup.
- The Oregonian offers a two-for-one recipe. A Tomato-Braised Chicken with Kale, Olives and Polenta turns into a second meal of Tomato-Chicken Soup With Polenta Croutons.
- The Los Angeles Times puts together a cioppino (fish stew) that’s perfect for summer entertaining.
(Image: The Providence Journal/Sandor Bodo)