National Food Roundup: Meat/Un-meatFrom Nationwide Newspaper Food Sections 03.11.09
Omnivore? Pescetarian? Vegetarian? Vegan? We’ve got a little something for everyone in this week’s roundup.
- The Los Angeles Times grills up simple herbed pork chops with tomatoes, potatoes and spinach (pictured left).
- The Miami Herald suggests a twist on the classic meatloaf – fill it with potatoes or rice and other ingredients and roll it up around the stuffing.
- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch suggests celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with Mini Corned Beef and Cabbage Rolls.
- Pescetarian? Try the Seattle Times’ Coconut Shrimp Lettuce Wraps.
- The Chicago Tribune is also thinking Irish with Haddock Fillets in Cider, Whiskey-Braised Pork, and Stout-Braised Lamb Shanks.
- The Oregonian adds “meaty greens” to a Three-Cheese and Swiss Chard Pizza.
- The Denver Post is putting up mushrooms. Tip: pre-cooking and freezing works best.
- Cutting back on meat or giving it up all together? The Houston Chronicle has recipes to help with the transition (pictured right), including Turkish-Style Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce and Pasta with Hearty Lentil and Spinach Sauce.
- Vegetarians don’t have to sit this St. Patrick’s Day out with recipes like Roasted Garlic and Parsnip Puree and Colcannon.
Plus: Here’s something everyone can agree on – bread! The San Francisco Chronicle has 33 ways to use leftovers (that is, if you have any).