National Food Roundup: Year of the OxFrom Nationwide Newspaper Food Sections 01.21.09
Do you read your local newspaper weekly food section? It may be a tough time for the newspaper business, but they’re still a great source of recipes and food information. Each week, we’ll be bringing you the best of the nation’s food sections.
This week, we get ready to celebrate the Year of the Ox.
- The Los Angeles Times has launched an index of recipes from its test kitchen where you can browse by type. The Tofu Batons with Hot Sesame Dressing caught our eye.
- The Chicago Tribune celebrates Chinese and Vietnamese New Year (Jan. 26) with wines to ring in the Year of the Ox and a streamlined pho from Pauline Nguyen.
- The Boston Globe demonstrates how to make Shanghai soupy buns and takes a look at the rise of the Goji berry.
- The Providence Journal reports that the National WWII Museum in New Orleans is reaching out to senior citizens to compile memories of the kitchen during war time. Judy Walker, food editor of The Times-Picayune, shares some of her Granny Trower’s stories from that time.
- The Chicago Sun-Times goes back a little further and recalls the creativity of cooks during the Great Depression.
Does your city’s newspaper have a great food section? We’d love to hear about it.
(Image: Richard Jung/Los Angeles Times)