I'm totally guilty of not making it through all of our veggies last week, and I admit it. We never touched our broccoli or our green beans, so now we have to work double-time to stay on top of all of this fresh produce. How can I catch up?
Our CSA supply was a bit much for our family this past week because my husband was traveling and it was just me, our toddler, and our 11-week-old in the house — and the baby and toddler weren't too much help!
Now back to the topic at hand..blueberries, beets and garlic scapes!
This Week's CSA Box
- 5 heads of lettuce
- 2 beets
- Green onions
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1 pint blueberries
- Garlic scapes
- 12 ounces green beans
- 1 bunch parsley
How I'm Going to Keep Up With My CSA Box This Week
- Broccoli: I mentioned last week I'm not a fan of broccoli, so of course this is one of the veggies that didn't make it to the table. But I'm really happy about the overflow because it gave us the chance to try this Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Soup, and it's delicious! I subbed green onions for the leek and added two cloves of minced garlic.
- Lettuce: Salads at every daytime and evening meal are a must, and we're loving it! Before this CSA I was never thrilled by lettuce but now a meal doesn't feel complete without one. Two new dressings I'm interested in trying this week are Ricotta Salata Citronette and Raspberry Vinaigrette.
- Beets & Green Onions: This (delicious looking!) Roasted Beet Salad with Barley, Feta, and Red Onion will take care of this week's beets as well as most of our green onions. Do you have a hard time roasting and peeling beets? If so, here's a great lesson on just that topic. And if the salad above doesn't sound appealing, this Honey Ginger Balsamic Glazed Beet recipe might do the trick!
- Kale: Please help. I'm tired of kale. I may just make smoothies all week with this powerful green. What are your favorite kale recipes? If you post them below, I'll share those that I try with our readers!
- Blueberries: Although I can't help eating fresh, organic blueberries straight from the container while standing in the kitchen, I think subbing blueberries for peanut butter in this midnight snack would be so so yummy!
- Garlic Scapes: What could pair better with leftover, chilled Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Soup than this White Bean and Garlic Scape Dip on top of toasted baguette slices?
- Green Beans: Who else associates green beans with Thanksgiving and nothing else? Is it just me? Maybe that's why I ignored our supply from last week. Actually, I think it has more to do with the fact that my husband was traveling and I never prepared a full meal with a main and a side. So I know you're wondering... what's my plan to deal with all these green beans? Well, I think we're going to pickle them! That way we can add them to salads or sandwiches, and I don't have to feel like I'm eating Thanksgiving in the middle of summer.
- Parsley: Is this the third week of parsley? I'm losing track. After reading last week's comments where one reader suggested drying any extra herbs, I just might take the advice and follow this tutorial. Thank you for the suggestion!
Tell me: what did you receive in your CSA box this week? And how do you plan on getting through it all?