Movies in the Park Menu: Grease Chicago
“Uh, I’m not very hungry. Just gimme a double Polar Burger wit’ everything and a cherry soda wit’ chocolate ice cream.” That’s Danny Zuko (John Travolta), making his diner food order in the original high school musical: “Grease.”
The 1978 classic will close out this season of the Chicago Outdoor Film Festival tomorrow, so bring your Danny Zuko-sized appetites and a spread of retro favorites.
You could take a cue from Rizzo and the rest of the Pink Ladies and bring along a bottle of “Sneaky Pete” (cheap dessert wine) and a box of Twinkies. Or, class it up with some of these old-school dishes:
- It wouldn’t be a retro party without a batch of Chex Mix. Try the original recipe, or a spicy curried version.
- A traditional Waldorf salad won’t disappoint, or try our version with a twist.
- Break out the Jello mold (or a bowl) for a Jello and fruit salad. Try Grandma’s Pineapple Cucumber Lime Jello Salad from Simply Recipes.
- Danny’s Polar Burger might be hard to transport to the park (and no grills are allowed), but a meatloaf sandwich would be just fine served cold. Go for a beef/pork/bacon mix, or a leaner turkey version. Serve on good bread with ketchup or spicy mustard.
- For a really special treat, try this New England Lobster Roll from Food Network’s The Best Of: ’50s Favorites.
- For dessert, how about a Whoopie Pie or a Root Beer Float Cake?
- And to drink, your favorite retro soda. A Green River, perhaps?
Whatever you’re eating, here’s to making the most of these last few “Summer Nights.” See you next year!