Cookbook gift ideas, Mexican bunuelos and Queso Manchego en Adobo – that and more in this week's roundup.
Books for All
- Chicago Sun-Times staffers share their favorite cookbooks.
- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has cookbook gift suggestions.
- The Chicago Tribune's cookbook gift guide includes several sample recipes, including Lemon-Orange Cream Chiffon Cake from BakeWise by Shirley O. Corrihe, and Jalepeno Salmon Burgers from Fish Without a Doubt by Rick Moonen and Roy Finemore.
Recipes Savory and Sweet
- The Kansas City Star looks back on the "year of the potato," and mashes them up with celery root.
- The Post-Dispatch features a creamy polenta appetizer recipe from Lorenzo's Trattoria on the Hill and Queso Manchego en Adobo from Modesto Tapas Bar and Restaurant.
- The Tribune celebrates "winter whites" – cauliflower, celeriac, onions, parsnips and white beans – and turns them into a Winter White Soup.
- Chicago pastry chef and cafe owner Laura Cid Perea, in the Sun-Times, shares the recipe for her grandmother's bunuelos, "golden, crispy-sweet, tortillalike fritters were sprinkled with Mexican cinnamon and sugar." We're also intrigued by her description of her aunt's homemade ravioli stuffed with refried black beans and served with a creamy tomato/chipotle sauce. Wow.
Kitchn supports our readers with carefully chosen product recommendations to improve life at home. You support us through our independently chosen links, many of which earn us a commission.