Mid-Winter Fruit Reprieve: 8 Snacks, Breakfasts, & Desserts with Frozen Fruit
It is a bitter irony that we seem to crave fresh fruit right when it is most scarce. Which is to say, right now in the heart of winter. Frozen fruit might not be quite the same, but used in the right place, it can give everything from pancakes to trifle a splash of summer flavor.
All fruits freeze remarkably well, retaining their flavor and color even after a few months in the freezer. You lose some texture after thawing, but since we’re mostly using frozen fruits in baked goods or dessert sauces, this usually isn’t a big deal.
During the winter, I keep blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries stocked in my freezer. These three seem to be the most versatile for my cooking, and I use them interchangeably in recipes.
• Tangy Raspberry Fool from Martha Stewart
• Frozen Orange and Mango Smoothie from BBC Good Food
• Marbled Lemon Blueberry Butter Cake from Leite’s Culinaria
• Raspberry Oatmeal Scones from A Cozy Kitchen
• Sweet Cherry Cobbler from Gourmet
• Strawberry Panna Cotta with Strawberry Compote from Epicurious
• Buttermilk Berry Muffins from Joy of Baking
• Frozen Fruit and Yogurt Roll-Ups from Tidy Mom
What are your favorite mid-winter recipes with frozen fruit?