Blogger: Nora Maynard
Started at The Kitchn: 2006
Nora is the most veteran freelance writer at The Kitchn; she has been offering up her own brand of classics-inspired cocktails and spirits writing for several years. We're so lucky to have her here, and we look forward to her posts every week. Whether she's writing about an interesting new liquor, or revisiting bar classics, we always find something to enjoy and learn in her posts. Read on for more about Nora, and to take a look back at a few of her posts from the past year.
A FEW QUESTIONS FOR NORA
- What's your favorite kitchen tool?
Rice cooker. I still use the same one my husband and I bought at a Korean grocery in Toronto on Bloor West circa 1992. Eighteen years—and countless batches of basmati, jasmine, brown, and Japanese sushi rice—later, it's still going strong. I don't even remember how make rice on the stovetop anymore.
- What's your secret indulgence in the kitchen?
La vache qui rit (The Laughing Cow) spreadable cheese. I know it's really just kind of a French version of Velveeta, but those little foil packets are just so fun to unpeel. A nice French lady who was a friend of my parents brought a box of the cubes to a beachside picnic when I was seven. It was a formative moment for me. I've since graduated to the wedges, though.
- What's your favorite quote on food, cooking, or eating?
"Highballs and cocktails, that's the long and the short of it." - As spoken by William Powell as Nick Charles in The Thin Man (1934)
A FEW POSTS BY NORA
• Shake Winter with a Jack Rose Cocktail
• Mixology News: Changes Shake Up 2 Bar Basics
• Mixing Cocktails: When to Shake and When to Stir
• To-Drink List: 4 New Spirits to Watch For
• Cocktail Obituary: Sex on the Beach
MORE POSTS BY NORA
• See all of 's posts at The Kitchn
(Images: as credited in above links)