The test kitchens at Martha Stewart are never idle for long! Hot on the heels of Martha's American Food, we have this new collection of 100% meat-free recipes. But it's not just for vegetarians! With over 200 recipes for everything from pot pie to tacos, there's plenty here for anyone who's trying to eat a little less meat this year.
• Who wrote it: The Kitchens of Martha Stewart Living
• Who published it: Clarkson Potter
• Number of recipes: Over 200
• Recipes for right now: Versatile Vegetarian Chili, Vegetable-Barley Pot Pies, Farro Salad with Oven-Roasted Grapes, Crisp Tofu Sandwiches with Peanut-Ginger Sauce, Beans-and-Greens Tacos with Goat Cheese, Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower and Lemon Zest
• Other highlights: This is a straightforward collection of vegetarian main dishes, soups, and sides. The recipes really speak for themselves, helped along by beautiful full-page photos of nearly every dish. While the majority of the foods are solidly of the "American" variety — familiar soups, vegetarian pizzas, creamy pastas, veggie burgers — the book does occasionally branch out into other cuisines with dishes like brown rice bowls, tacos, curries, and Moroccan stews.
I particularly like their "Versatile Vegetarian" sections, like the chili pictured in the slideshow above. They give a basic technique and then suggestions for varying the ingredients or changing the seasonings.
If you're looking for simple meat-free recipes to add to your weeknight meal rotation, there are enough ideas and recipes here to keep you occupied for quite some time to come!
• Who would enjoy this book? Vegetarians, people wanting to incorporate more meat-free meals into their diet, fans of Martha Stewart's style of recipes
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Meatless: More Than 200 of the Very Best Vegetarian Recipes from The Kitchens of Martha Stewart Living
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)