Looking for a snack that fills you up and fuels you well? The humble hard-boiled egg is a small powerhouse of nutrition, but easily overlooked. We're upgrading the boiled egg in 10 sexy, spicy, flavor-jammed ways for better snacking.
A sliced hard-boiled egg is the smart, make-ahead ingredient that turns a cheesy quesadilla from simple snack into a more filling lunch or quick weeknight dinner. It delivers an extra boost of protein, and pairs so well with everything from the melted cheddar and veggies to the beans and salsa.
First, Make Your Hard-Boiled Eggs
Before you can transform your basic hard-boiled egg into a satisfying snack or quick meal, you've got to cook it. There are a couple methods — choose the one that's best for you.
1. On the stovetop: This is the classic cooking method for making hard-boiled eggs, and the one we lean on when cooking just a few eggs at a time. Once the pot of eggs comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and set a timer to get the eggs cooked just the way you like them.
- For firm yet still creamy hard-boiled eggs: 7 minutes
- For very firm hard-boiled eggs: 9 minutes
- For firm yet still creamy hard-boiled eggs: 7 to 8 minutes
- For very firm hard-boiled eggs: 9 to 10 minutes
How to Make a Quesadilla (Egg Included!)
Add a nine- or 10-inch flour tortilla to a large, warm skillet. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (cheddar or Monterey Jack) over the whole tortilla. Add the sliced hard-boiled egg over one half of the tortilla along with 1/4 cup of toppings (like beans, corn, scallions, or cooked vegetables). Cook until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the tortilla is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Use a spatula to fold the quesadilla in half, and serve immediately.
Upgrade a Hard-Boiled Egg
All it takes is a little inspiration to transform a hard-boiled egg from a basic peel-and-eat snack to one that's supremely satisfying — even meal-worthy! This series will open your eyes to all the ways to upgrade the beloved hard-boiled egg with the help of no more than three basic pantry ingredients.