Wow, take a look at this kitchen island -- it's made from shopping carts!
This is part of Peter's San Francisco loft, featured today on Apartment Therapy. Peter constructed the kitchen "cart" himself. Here's what he says about it:
This thing is weird. Didn't want to spend big bucks for an island, but needed more counter space and a way to break up the open layout. Keeping with the trend of bringing the outdoors in, I made the base out of shopping carts to reflect my "up and coming" SOMA neighborhood. It's Derelique. The carts were cut above the wheels, turned on-end and re-welded. The top is part of an IKEA butcher block table flanked by some donated granite. Hanging stemware racks complete the rolling, kitchen island bar thing.
We love it! It works perfectly in his space. Here's a little more info about the photos above, too.
• 1 The up-ended shopping carts.
• 2 A bigger view of the kitchen.
• 3 Here's a better look at the top of the island/cart.
• 4 Peter leaves his spices stuck to the microwave, above the stove.
• 5 Beautiful art in the kitchen.
• See the full tour: House Tour: Peter's Light Loft Living
(Images: Lily G. for Apartment Therapy)