Less After-Dinner Guilt: 10 Decadent Yolk-Free Desserts
I have a close friend who was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes and high cholesterol. She’s not overweight, she exercises a few times a week and was actually a vegetarian for well over a decade. Everyone, including her doctors, was a bit baffled. She shares my pretty fierce sweet tooth, so we sat down together last week to brainstorm a few recipes that would help her begin to rethink the way she prepares her favorite course of the day: dessert.
We decided not to go too drastic for fear that she’d become discouraged, so we looked at recipes that cut out egg yolks. We were both equally pleased to find a decadent treasure trove of incredible treats.
From sorbets and frozen yogurts to truffles, macarons, and pavlovas, there’s a whole big, wide world of yolk-free, egg-free, and vegan desserts out there that I began bookmarking. All of the recipes below don’t claim to be fat-free or cholesterol free necessarily. Some contain quite a bit of cream while others are virtually fat-free. The point was to do some initial exploring, and to get really excited about pudding, cake, fondue and sorbet. We succeeded.
Decadent Yolk-Free Dessert Recipes:
• No-Bake Banana Split Cake – (pictured) Brown-Eyed Baker
• Chocolate Macarons – David Lebovitz
• Angel Food Cake – Alton Brown
• Vegan Chocolate Cake with Avocado – Joy the Baker
• Chocolate Fondue – Simply Recipes
• Pear Sorbet – Lottie + Doof
• Sprouted Kitchen Fresh Mint Chip Frozen Yogurt – 101 Cookbooks
• Mixed Berry Pavlova – Ina Garten
• Almost Raw Chocolate Truffles – The Culinary Life
• Vanilla Pudding – New York Times
(Image: Brown-Eyed Baker)