Kombucha! by Eric and Jessica Childs
Are you addicted to kombucha? Ready to try brewing it yourself? Eric and Jessica Childs are the founders of Kombucha Brooklyn, and in this book, they share all the knowledge about this fermented elixir that they’ve accumulated over their years of brewing it. With a guide like Kombucha! in your hands, you’ll be brewing your own kombucha in no time.
• Who wrote it: Eric and Jessica Childs
• Who published it: Avery
• Number of recipes: 50
• Recipes for right now: Mrs. Childs’s Chicken Sniffle Soup, KomBraised Kale with Cranberries and Almonds, Kombrewmaster’s Smoothie, Easy 10-Grain Sourdough Kombucha Bread, Warm Mulled Kombucha with Brandy
• Other highlights: I really wish that I had this book when I first started brewing my own kombucha — the things that I learned by trial-and-error and half-sketchy internet sources are all laid out in Kombucha! in clear, simple steps. Eric and Jessica Childs also explain very clearly the “why’s” and “why not’s” for each part of the process, showing us where we need to stick to the formula and where we can take some liberties.
If you’re interested in doing more with you kombucha than just drinking it, a full half of the book is devoted to recipes that put your brew — and your used scobys! — to work. I love the idea of marinating steaks in kombucha sauce or adding some brew to my next batch of bread. I admit to some squeamishness when it comes to the idea of adding ribbons of scoby to a salad or dicing it into a pilaf, but hey, it’s worth a try!
• Who would enjoy this book? Kombucha lovers
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Kombucha! by Eric and Jessica Childs
• Visit the author’s website: Kombucha Brooklyn
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.