Knife Storage: Five Ways To Store Your Knives Safely
How do you store your knives? Do you like to keep them out? Put them away in a drawer? One of the best things I did in the previous Kitchen Cure was to get my knives organized and properly stowed. Are you looking for a good solution for your knives? Read on for five ways you can store knives safely and happily.
Wash & Store Knives: Watch the Video
• 1 Magnetic wall rack – Magnetic knife strips are a popular way to keep your knives out on the wall and within easy reach. We really like this bamboo version! Magnetic Bamboo Knife/Storage Bar, $29.99 at Chef’s Catalog.
• 2 Countertop knife block – Maybe the most common way to store knives, the knife block is pretty ubiquitous. If you have room for a countertop knife block, then this Kapoosh block is great; it will accomodate any size knife; no jamming knives into wrong-sized slots! Kapoosh Wood Grain Knife Block, $29.99 at Macy’s.
• 3 Wall-mounted knife block – Want the convenience of having knives out in the open, but without them hanging on a magnetic strip? A wall-mounted block is a good solution. We’ve blogged about these restaurant-supply knife blocks in the past.
• 4 Under-cabinet knife block – Wusthof Under Cabinet Knife Block, $39.95 at Chef’s Catalog.
• 5 Drawer tray – I use a drawer tray and it’s been wonderful to keep the knives organized and put away safely. Here’s one from Sur La Table that is expandable to fit your drawer more snugly. Expandable Knife Tray, $39.95 at Sur La Table.
Notice now what’s been left OFF this list: Loose knives in a drawer! Having your knives knocking around loose in a gadgets or cutlery drawer is a fast way to take their edges off, and also to hurt yourself. If you need to get organized with your knives, do it this weekend! Make this your last little push for the Fall 2009 Kitchen Cure; you won’t regret it.