Adding a rug to your kitchen is an easy way to inject the room with a zingy pattern or fresh dose of color without spending a ton of money or time repainting your cabinets.
Because kitchen rugs, more than any other ones in your house, take a beating, you want to make sure you're choosing a durable, easy-to-clean rug that will offer comfort underfoot at the same time. Then, you need to choose the rug that best fits your style, whether it's something geometric, a new take on a classic design, or a rug with far-flung origins to give your kitchen a well-traveled look.
Here are nine durable, great-looking rugs for any kitchen.
- Chardin Home Diamond Rug, $13 for 21-by-34-inch rug: This woven cotton rug is machine-washable and reversible, and is just the right size to sit in front of most sinks. It comes in seven colorways, and the busy pattern will hide stains better than most.
- Catamaran Stripe Indoor/Outdoor Rug, from $12 at Dash & Albert: Made of stain- and moisture-resistant polypropylene, a fabric often used for outdoor rugs, this good-looking rug is resilient against kitchen stains.
- Mixed Stripe Dhurrie, from $99 at West Elm: This textured woven cotton runner has a mottled texture that will disguise stains, plus it's shed-resistant and reversible, which is key for high-traffic areas.
- Fibreworks Custom Sisal Rug, from $28 at Pottery Barn: If you like a natural material, sisal is a durable choice. This one can be customized to just about any size to work perfectly in your space.
- Threshold Pig Kitchen Rug, from $15 at Target: If there's one room to introduce farm animals into, it's the kitchen! This rug has a non-skid backing, is machine-washable, and comes in two sizes.
- Cambria Sapphire Rug, from $89 at Ruggable: Into the vintage look, but not into destroying vintage rugs? This is a great option. It's stain-resistant, waterproof, and machine-washable — all in a classic design.
- Dune Printed Rug, from $24 at Urban Outfitters: This rug reminds us a lot of our favorite shibori pillows — and will help hide stains. Imagine how great it would look with white cabinets or even old-school wooden ones!
- Phoenix Rug, from $262 at Lulu & Georgia: Maybe we're just so inspired by the pictures of this rug shown in an actual kitchen, but we want it for our own space. Now.
Note: The rug pictured in the photo at the beginning of this post was an eBay find, but we did find something with a similar look, in case you're interested!
- Bea Rug, from $68 at Anthropologie