Rent or own? Rent
What does your kitchen need? A whole new look. It has pink tile counters and a matching tile back splash and old while cabinets.
What does your kitchen need? (cont.) I can paint but that ugly tile is still there. I really need a way to cover the tile so it looks updated.
What are your limitations? Budget less than $200.
Anna, we know you were looking to cover up your tile, but we haven't come across any tile-covering methods that we can recommend. So, we suggest you embrace that pink tile and use it as inspiration for the rest of the kitchen.
• Our main suggestion is a simple can of paint (or maybe a few cans, depending on the size of the rest of your kitchen). We think a rich coat of paint on the cabinets and walls could make a world of difference, and we say go bold! Why not take a cue from the burgundy trim and create a deeply colorful kitchen around it?
• We'd also swap out the cabinet hardware for something sleeker and more modern, and the rental-issue blinds for some light, pretty curtains. Let that Miami sun shine in!
• Finally, we'd add some accents of gray and some pops of bright lemon yellow.
• Living Big in a Small Space: Timothy Mather. We love the burgundy cabinets with pink accents and bold prints.
• Gio Lemon Twin Duvet Set from Dwell Studio. This was one of Maxwell's Daily Finds for the new Apartment Therapy Marketplace. Obviously, this is for a child's bedroom and not the kitchen, but we think the color palate is perfect. We also love Dwell's Gate Java Placemats as an accent. Though, at $96 for a set of 4, we're keeping those in the inspiration category.
• Liberty cabinet pulls, $4.99 each at Home Depot
• Paint-By-Number Dessert Plate, #85 Inspiring, $12 at Anthropologie
• Enamel/Stainless Steel Colander in Lemon, $15.99 at Target
• Rose Bowl Set, $30 at Urban Outfitters
Those are just a few suggestions to start your inspiration process. Please check back in and show us what you do with your kitchen makeover. Readers — what would you do with this kitchen?Timothy Mather Interior Design, linked retailers)