We can't tell you how many times we've lingered over lunch in a quaint cafe only to find ourselves wishing for a similar feeling in our kitchen at home. Here are a few cafe-inspired details that can be incorporated into the design of a residential kitchen:
- 1: A particularly nice cafe vibe we'd love to accomplish at home. This is from Maxwell's visit to Siena.
- 2: Undersink curtains add a touch of fabric that's reminiscent of cafes and they're less expensive than millwork. Plus, they can be changed out to switch up your look in a cinch. Get some ideas from Apartment Therapy readers on how to do this yourself right here.
- 3: A checked or patterned floor adds the kind of texture that conjures that busy cafe feeling. You can lay linoleum flooring or even paint wood floors.
- 4: Bring cafe chairs right inside to the kitchen table. We love how comfy these particular ones look, yet they're casually arranged near a utility-minded kitchen.
- 5: Open shelves and hanging storage keep dishes out where you can get to them quickly, just like in a cafe. If you'd rather keep things enclosed, you can still expose them with glass-fronted cabinets that convey a cafe feeling (as in inspiration pic #1).