Kitchen Before & After: A 1970s Kitchen Goes Contemporary For Under 10K
Kitchn reader Jim’s 1970s kitchen was due for an overhaul — something that, as he told us, would “bring [it] into this decade.” So with a budget of under $10,000, Jim set out to give his kitchen a contemporary new look:
What a transformation! Here’s what Jim tells us about his kitchen renovation:
- The original cabinet boxes were in great condition, so I had custom doors and end caps made and added new hardware for about $3400.
- Granite counters were installed at a great savings for $820 using a couple of remnant pieces, and a stainless sink and faucet were added for about $400.
- The backsplash was replaced with the ceramic and stone combination, $800.
- The window was replaced with a larger casement window, $400.
- New slide-in range, hood and bottom freezer refrigerator were added for $3200.
- Bamboo flooring was installed throughout the whole house.
The project definitely brought my 1975 kitchen into this decade!
It’s great to see how you can keep original elements of the kitchen — like the cabinet boxes in this case — yet still get a whole new look with a few smart design choices.
Thanks for sharing, Jim!