I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been over-buying at the farmers market lately — with all the bright, colorful produce, it's hard to resist! Here's one solution: turn all that summer bounty into juice. I've been combing this new book Juice Boost for ideas and thinking it's about time to get my juicer down from the shelf.
• Who wrote it: Chris Fung
• Who published it: Duncan Baird Publishers
• Number of recipes: Over 80
• Recipes for right now: Melon, Mango & Orange Juice; Lychee Coco; Pear & Ginger Cleanser; Classic Orange & Beet; Raspberry Gold Smoothie; Strawberries & Peach Summer Smoothie; Cantaloupe & Lychee Smoothie
• Other highlights: You don't need to be a health junkie to get into this book — you just need to like fresh, tasty beverages. The pages are packed with tempting, inventive ideas for juices and smoothies that go way beyond OJ. What about adding a splash of citrusy yuzu to your morning shake? Or a handful of Thai basil to spice up your post-workout juice? These recipes make the juice bar look tame and boring.
If you are interested in learning more about the nutrition and health benefits of certain combinations of fruit and spices, you'll also find plenty of information here. There's a handy chart at the front of the book that outlines all the ingredients in the book along with their nutritional content and how they can influence your overall health. Chris Fung reinforces this information in the headnotes and sidebars throughout the book, adding suggestions for when particular juices and smoothies are most effective (first thing in the morning, post-workout, etc.).
• Who would enjoy this book? There's a little something for everyone here — folks who want new ideas for morning smoothies, people looking to replace their juice bar habit, and those looking for ways to add a nutritional boost to their daily diet.
→ Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Juice Boost by Chris Fung
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)