Inside the Shoot with Apt. 2B Baking Co.’s Yossy Arefi
If you’re not familiar with Yossy Arefi, the food photographer, stylist, and baker behind Apt. 2B Baking Co., you need to be. Her recipes are as gorgeous to look at as they are to eat — and we couldn’t be more excited about her new book, Sweeter off the Vine. To celebrate its release, which happens to dovetail perfectly with berry season, we invited Yossy to our studio kitchen for a berry bake session.
We’re sharing recipes from the shoot, of course, but we also wanted to highlight some of the plates, bowls, cups, and accents we used on set. We think they’re nearly as swoon-worthy as Yossy’s desserts.
1. Irridescent Serving Utensils, $75 to $100 at ABC Carpet & Home: These pretty serving utensils cost a pretty penny, but they make a dreamy addition to your table, or a very special gift.
2. Varanasi Sari Placemats, $24 at ABC Carpet & Home: These raw silk and dupioni placemats, handmade in India, will lend your table a worldly panache.
3. Astier de Villatte Footed Bowls, $80 to $105 at ABC Carpet & Home: Inspired by 18th-century ceramics, these Parisian bowls are rustic but elegant — and perfect for showcasing everything from jewel-hued berries to actual jewels.
4. Porcelain Cup, $10 at H&M: Pretty tea cups aren’t just for classing up tea time. We’re thinking a scoop of vanilla ice cream topped with berries and whipped cream would be just grand out of this pink porcelain cup with gold accents.
5. Relief Pattern Jug, $25 at H&M: Texture is a subtle way to add sophistication to any occasion, and we love how versatile this glass jug is. Use it as a pitcher for berry sangrias or fill it with flowers to bring the scents of summer into your kitchen.
6. Alabaster Salad Plate, $7 at Pier 1 Imports: Bring the color and feel of summers by the sea to your dinner table with this affordable salad plate.
7. Jade Green Glass Footed Bowls, $30 for set of 6 at World Market: These charmingly retro footed bowls make dessert even more fun. We also love the idea of filling them with candy in metallic wrappers.
8. Carats DOF Glasses, $20 for set of 4 at World Market: These double Old Fashioned glasses from Portugal come in four colors: mint, pink, charcoal, and clear.
9. Medium Bowl in Pale Mint Swirl, $60 at Suite One Studio: Made from white porcelain clay, this all-purpose bowl shows off its raw, unglazed beauty on the outside, while the inside has the palest mint finish.
10. Ring Dish in Malachite with Gold Rim, $32 at Suite One Studio: We’re obsessed with the deep-green watercolor finish of this gold-rimmed dish.