How to Use Up a Little Pesto
We usually douse a bowl of pasta in some pesto, and that takes quite a lot. But most pesto recipes make quite a lot, too, and we always find ourselves with a small bit waiting to be commandeered before it goes bad.
Remember, pesto can be frozen. But if you have a few big spoonfuls or so you’re looking to use, here are our ideas:
1. Mix it into mayonnaise for a sandwich. A friend recently made us an amazing, warm turkey sandwich with pesto mayonnaise on it. You only need a tiny bit to add a lot of flavor and color.
2. Or just slather it on a sandwich. Don’t like mayo? Just spread some pesto on one side of the bread.
3. Spread some on a piece of meat or fish. You can use it like a marinade on a piece of salmon or a pork chop that’s going into the oven. Stuff your chicken breast with a bit of pesto, or maybe add a few spoonfuls to your burger meat. You might even consider adding some pesto to the baked feta Emily reviewed last week.
4. Use it on pizza. You really don’t need a lot of pesto to cover a small pizza. Even if you’re also using tomato sauce, a few dollops of pesto around the pie adds another element.
5. Make a quick crostata appetizer. Spread some pesto on a few rounds of bread, top with a slice of parmesan or a piece of prosciutto, then run under the broiler for a minute.
Any other ideas?