How To Turn Lemons into Furniture Polish
Whether you want to save money or are trying to reduce the number of store-bought chemicals in your home, making your own furniture polish is a good way to keep your wood pieces gleaming. (And it’s totally kid- and pet-friendly!) You just need some common household products that you probably already have in your kitchen cabinets.
This easy recipe for wood furniture polish combines three home-care superpowers: white vinegar, a natural disinfectant; olive oil, which conditions and polishes wood; and lemon, which is brimming with stain-lifting citric acid. You can whip up this effective wood polish in seconds. And it’ll smell so great, you’ll be tempted to use any leftovers on your salad — but don’t actually do that (read on for why not).
One note: While it’s tempting tackle every wood surface in your home, don’t use this polish on hardwood floors. If the oil doesn’t absorb completely, it can leave the floors slippery (safety hazard!), and the vinegar’s pH can be too rough on your floor’s finish.
How To Make Natural Furniture Polish
What You Need
- Olive oil
- Fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cleaning cloths, ideally microfiber
- Mix the ingredients: You’ll need 2 parts vinegar, 2 parts olive oil, and 1 part lemon juice. Make only as much as you expect to be using, as any extra can go rancid before you get to use it up.
- Ready the cloth: Lightly dip the corner of one of the microfiber cloths into the polish. A little bit goes a long way here, so don’t go overboard.
- Apply to your wood surfaces: Going with the grain, rub the mixture into the wood. Dip your cloth into the mixture again as needed.
- Wipe up the excess: Using the second cloth, go over the surface again, still following the grain. This will pick up any oil that hasn’t absorbed into the wood.
- We recommending starting with a small test section of your wooden furniture first.
- Do not eat the leftover polish. Once you double-dipped that cloth, the mixture isn’t exactly pure — no matter how clean you think your furniture is.