There is something that makes sense about turning to wholesome, natural pantry ingredients for nourishing our bodies from the outside as well the inside. You might not have considered deodorant a recipe for your kitchen, instead of from the drugstore, but let me show you how even this body basic can come from your own home.
Our skin is the largest organ in our body and it needs to breathe. This easy-to-make spray is a great recipe for odor control while still allowing your body to eliminate what it needs to. The often harmful ingredients in store-bought deodorants are quickly absorbed into our bodies, and really have no place under our arms.
This is made for mama with rosewater and essential oils of lime and geranium that balance the nervous system, as well as being antibacterial — bacteria being part of the reason why smelly armpits happen.
Beauty from the inside out (and outside in) is the way to know you (and your baby) are safe and looked after. Use organic ingredients wherever possible since these potions are being absorbed by your skin.
How To Make Homemade Deodorant
What You Need
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt or sea salt
6 drops lime essential oil
10 drops geranium essential oil
2 tablespoons rosewater
2 tablespoons grain alcohol, Everclear or high-proof vodka (don't use rubbing alcohol because you can become sensitized to it with regular use)
4 tablespoons pure witch hazel
6-ounce glass spray bottle
- Combine salt and oils: Combine the salt and essential oils in the glass spray bottle and gently shake to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients and shake: Using the funnel, add the rose water, alcohol, and witch hazel. Tighten the cap and shake.
- To use: Spray onto clean armpits and allow to dry briefly before dressing.
- This deodorant has a shelf life of about 6 months.
- Feel free to sub other essential oils, like lavender, for the ones listed here.
20 Homemade Luxuries for Mama & Baby
DIY Mama is a month to celebrate the DIY mamas everywhere, and offer them and their babies small homemade luxuries for bath, body, beauty, and fun mealtimes together. Want a little luxury for yourself (or a new mama you know) in your inbox every day? Sign up below!