Refreshing Eye Masks Made from Cucumber & Coconut Oil
The remedy for tired eyes — whether those sleepy circles belong to you or to a new mama friend — lies in a few kitchen basics. Cucumber, coconut oil, and a blender are the pathway to a refreshing mask that’s made with all-natural ingredients from the refrigerator.
Cucumbers have a tightening effect on the delicate skin around your eyes, while arnica reduces inflammation. Coconut and vitamin E oil are known for their antioxidant and nourishing properties.
These are an unexpected but welcome gift for a new mama: Tell her to take 10 minutes while baby is napping to take care of her peepers. Pop these on to smooth, soothe, and cool the burning of tired eyes and reduce those tell-tale dark circles.
How To Make Eye Masks from Cucumber & Coconut Oil
Makes 8 to 10 eye mask pairs
What You Need
1 large cucumber, washed well and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
1 tablespoon arnica gel
Blender or food processor
16 to 20 cotton pads
Ice cube trays
- Blend the cucumber until liquid: Blend the cucumber in a blender or food processor until liquid. You may need to add a tablespoon of water.
- Add the other ingredients: Pulse in the coconut oil, vitamin E, and arnica gel, then transfer to a glass bowl.
- Soak the cotton pads in the liquid: Gently press the pads between your fingers to squeeze out excess, but make sure not to squeeze too much; you want them saturated, but not dripping.
- Freeze the pads: Divide soaked pads into pairs and place each set in a separate plastic bag. Make sure the pads are lying flat and not touching. Put in the freezer.
- To use, thaw briefly then place on closed eyes: When you feel your eyes are in need of a treat, remove a pair of pads and thaw for a minute or two. Lie down, place over your eyes, and breathe deeply for 10 minutes. Wash away any excess liquid with lukewarm water.
- You can pour any excess soaking liquid into ice cube trays and freeze. Apply directly around the eye for a quick perk-me-up for your peepers.
20 Homemade Luxuries for Mama & Baby
DIY Mama is a month to celebrate the DIY mamas everywhere, and offer them and their babies small homemade luxuries for bath, body, beauty, and fun mealtimes together. Want a little luxury for yourself (or a new mama you know) in your inbox every day? Sign up below!
Apartment Therapy Cures & Schools Announcements
Special events including Cures, schools, and other events at Apartment Therapy