For coffee lovers, it's not all about the coffee: It's the whole ritual that comes with it. These colorful make-and-bake trivets are a handsome part of that ritual, and they make great DIY gifts for the coffee lover in your life. You can use large 6" x 6" tiles to make a trivet for your French press, or craft smaller 4" x 4" tiles to make coasters for your mugs. The ingredients? Just a few simple supplies and an oven. And of course, a cup of Folgers® Coffeehouse Blend — you do not want to craft without coffee.
This is the perfect project to add color to Sunday brunches, to give as seasonal gifts, or just to add everyday perk to your kitchen counter. You can find the painting supplies at hardware, craft and/or art supply stores, and the baking supplies are probably already in your pantry.
What You'll Need
- 6" x 6" Ceramic Tiles
- 180-Grain Sanding Block
- Wet Rag
- Dry Rag
- Painter's Tape
- Porcelain Paint (we used Pebeo 150)
- Oven (do not preheat)
- Parchment Paper
- Cookie Sheet
- Peel & Stick Felt Pads (the kind made for chair legs)
What You'll Do
Prep & Paint Your Tiles
- Prep the tiles: wash, dry, sand, then wipe down.
- Use the painter's tape to create a geometric pattern. (We cut the tape to create varying widths.) Go crazy here. If you have an inner Mondrian, this is his moment. With the porcelain paint and paintbrushes, paint a heavy layer between the tape to create your pattern.
- Let the paint dry for 24 hours. This is the time it takes to become colorfast.
- Remove the tape to reveal the patterns, and savor the little moment of joy that comes with it.
- Using the razor, scrape the edges of your lines to create a clean look.
Bake Your Tiles
- To keep your food surfaces clean and free of craft-project residue, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put your tiles on the baking sheet and slide them into a cold oven.
- With the tiles inside, turn on the oven to 425°.
- When the oven hits 425°, set a timer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn off the oven. Let the tiles cool in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the tiles from the oven and cookie sheet.
- On the bottom of the tile, add the felt pads to each corner. You're all set!
Make Your Coffee
Whether you have a French press, a cold brew pot, or an automatic drip maker, these trivets and coasters make a stylish way to protect your counters. Whatever your brewing method, we recommend Folgers® Coffeehouse Blend. It's a medium-dark roast that's smooth enough to drink black, but rich enough for the flavor to come through if you add a little cream or milk. And, it's great over ice! It comes ground or in 12- or 18-count K-Cups if you prefer. Anyway you like it, coffee is always a good idea.
This post is sponsored by Folgers® Coffeehouse Blend and was created by the Kitchn Creative Studio.
Thank you for supporting the brands that make Kitchn possible.
Comments have been disabled.