Health News Review: What Scientists Really Think About the Latest Health Story
Last week we discussed why health articles so often get it wrong, but here’s one resource that gets it right: Health News Review, a site where scientists and physicians take a hard look at health stories and let consumers know how they hold up. Wondering what experts really think of stories like “Berries May Cut Heart Attack Risk in Women, Study Says”?
And what are the criteria these stories are being judged by? Some of the questions include:
• Does the story adequately quantify the benefits of the treatment/test/product/procedure?
• Does the story use independent sources and identify conflicts of interest?
• Does the story appear to rely solely or largely on a news release?
• Does the story commit disease-mongering?
• Check it out: Health News Review
(Image: Vania Georgieva/Shutterstock)