Have You Taken the Turkey Out of the Freezer Yet?
Hi, Kitchn friends!
Thanksgiving is inching closer and closer. Are you ready? Actually, let me rephrase that. Is your turkey ready? According to Kelli’s turkey game plan, Monday is an important day. Monday is really the last day to take the turkey out of the freezer so it can begin to thaw. But hey, why wait? Get a leg up and use the calm before the storm and pull that big bird out of the freezer today. And if you haven’t picked up a turkey yet, head to the grocery store and grab one — thawed, if you can!
While you’re at it, now is also a good time to pick the recipes you want to use. Here’s what going on in the kitchen for us here at Kitchn this Thanksgiving for inspiration.
- Kelli’s is heading to Thanksgiving hosted by her mom, who puts on a pretty classic spread. She’s bringing cranberry sauce. If she was hosting a small Thanksgiving at home she’d “110% would be baking this one-pot number,”
- Sheela’s usually in charge of the pie, which she brings in a springform pan, but this year she’s making a white chocolate cheesecake with cranberry compote from the new Ottolenghi book. She’s going to be enjoying a pretty classic turkey at the dinner she’s attending (probably as the perfect guest!).
- Christine is going for spatchcocked and grilled. She got a special request for extra dark meat, so it looks like a few extra legs are being added to the mix. Can you tell she’s over in California?
- Last year Geraldine made a practice turkey and set her oven on fire. This year, her mom will be making the turkey. She goes very traditional, with stuffing inside and butter on the outside.
- Lisa will be grilling the turkey like her family does every year. It’s a smoky, crispy, absolutely delicious affair worth repeating.
- Last year I made lasagna. It was amazing but I really need a reason to make the fried chicken Meghan did earlier this year so my family is having an all-out Southern feast — no turkey required. I’m pretty smitten with the upside-down method we shared last year, which also comes with a option for a coke glaze. And if that isn’t unique enough, we also have a turkey recipe that includes a bacon blanket.
- Meghan is trying to talk her family into beef tenderloin or these luxurious stovetop steaks for Thanksgiving. We’re a bunch of renegades in these parts! Last year she roasted a 20-pound turkey in a bag, so you can understand why she’s proffering a steak option.
- Lauren isn’t one for turkey, but she’s bringing Thanksgiving lentil salad to this year’s Thanksgiving feast.
- Kaitlin stocked her freezer with five turkey breasts to make from now on through Christmas. She’s using the same recipe every time from Food & Wine and we’re all obsessed.
- Faith isn’t making the turkey this year, but the family is heading to her house.
What’s your turkey plan for this year?