Happy Earth Day! Earth Friendly Ideas from The Kitchn
What are you doing today to celebrate the earth and raise environmental awareness? Here in The Kitchn, we think that every day is Earth Day and do our best to promote delicious, sustainable kitchen practices all year long. It’s even built into our mission statement!
That said, we’re still happy it’s Earth Day and that people are making the extra push today to change old, wasteful habits and live more lightly on the planet. To help you out, we’ve gathered up some of our more eco-focused posts on everything from paper towel alternatives to organic cocktails. You’ll find a list, plus five things you can do TODAY to honor Earth Day, after the jump.
It’s true! When we went to compile this list, we had to leave off a lot of really great ideas and posts simply because there wasn’t enough room. We hope that this speaks to how caring for our environment is no longer something extra we add on to our list of ‘shoulds.’ Rather, it is an integral part of who we are and how we think.
What’s your favorite eco-accomplishment from this past year? Please share your story with us in the comments!
Five Things You Can Try Right Now for Earth Day:
- Don’t buy anything!
- Organize your cloth bags so that they are there when you need them: maybe bring a few to the office for those spontaneous post-work grocery runs, stash a few more in the trunk of your car, in your gym bag, etc.
- Start a compost system for your kitchen scraps (see Sara Kate’s article later today)
- Don’t throw anything away!
- Pause. Take a deep breath. Take another. Think of one environmentally unfriendly thing you’re currently doing and ask yourself “Am I ready to give this up?” If the answer is yes, then go right ahead! If the answer is no, keep looking.
Considering the Cow:
• How Much Water Does it Take to Produce a Pound of Beef?
• The Ambivalent Omnivore
• How to Find Local Meat
All Things Local:
Paper Towels and Dish Cloths
(Image: Dana Velden)